Hope Harbor is a 10-bed geriatric behavioral health unit located at Buena Vista Regional Medical Center in Storm Lake, Iowa. For over 20 years, Hope Harbor has specialized in medical management of psychiatric disorders for individuals over the age of 62.
To improve self-esteem, dignity, abilities and independence. Consistent with our holistic treatment philosophy, we focus on healing the mind, body and spirit.
Hope Harbor Team
Our ability to provide excellent care to our patients, often with complex illnesses, is possible only with the quality and commitment of our entire clinical team.
• Psychiatric Medical Director
• Medical Director
• Program Director
• 24-Hour Psychiatric Nursing Staff
• Two Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioners
• Two Social Workers
• Activity Therapist
• 24-Hour Services.
• Medical and Psychiatric Evaluation.
• Medical Management of Psychiatric Disorders.
• Management of Medication and Education.
• Individualized Treatment Planning.
• Therapeutic Exercise.
• Stress Management.
• Activity Therapy Groups.
• Spiritual Counseling.
• Community Referrals for Support.
• Neuropsychological Testing.
• Consultation for Speech, Occupational and/or Physical Therapy Based on Individual Needs.
• After Care Follow-Up.
Who Would Benefit
Those that struggle with:
• Depression or anxiety.
• Anger, aggressive behavior or notable changes in mood.
• Sudden onset of forgetfulness and/or an inability to concentrate.
• Inability to care for yourself.
• Seeing or hearing things that others do not see or hear.
• Problems related to changing health status, illness or disability.
• Personal safety.
Referrals can be made by a family member, friend, psychiatrist, doctor, nursing home, hospital or community agency. An older adult may also make a self-referral.
Hope Harbor Referral Link
Hope Harbor has been wonderful for helping to find just the right combination of medication to help patients find some peace of mind and not over-medicate. Residents come back from this Psychiatric unit with elderly feeling calmer and at peace, while retaining their alertness and orientation.From an Area Nursing Home
Thank you so much for all your skills and knowledge in treating the elderly that have so many issues. Mom is doing so much better. She says she feels better, is sleeping much better and we notice a definite change in her, for the better. Again, we cannot thank you enough for helping our mom. God Bless all of you.Family Member of Patient
Hope Harbor Visiting Hours:
2:00 – 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
All visitors are to use the BVRMC ER Entrance.
Buena Vista Regional Medical Center
1525 West 5th Street
P.O. Box 309
Storm Lake, Iowa 50588
Toll Free 1.888.712.5433, extension 8656
For more information, or to schedule a confidential, free screening; please call 712.213.8656 or email Hope.Harbor@bvrmc.org.