BVRMC Receives the 2019 Women’s Choice Award® as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Obstetrics
Buena Vista Regional Medical Center has been named as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Obstetrics by the Women’s Choice Award®, America’s trusted referral source for the best in health care. The award signifies that BVRMC is in the top 17% of 2,778 U.S. hospitals offering obstetrics.
Trish Winger, Director of First Embrace Obstetrics, credits the superior care by doctors and nurses at BVRMC.
“Our four delivering providers do a fantastic job collaborating with their patients for the best possible birth experience,” Trish says. “Many of our nurses pursue advanced certifications which prove their dedication to the best patient experience. We have over 290 years of combined nursing experience.”
The methodology for the America’s Best Hospitals for Obstetrics is unique in that it combines national accreditation’s, Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) survey results and hospital outcome scores with primary research about women’s health care preferences. It is the only award recognizing excellence in obstetric services based on robust criteria that consider patient satisfaction and clinical excellence.
The America’s Best Hospitals for Obstetrics distinction is based on the following specific criteria:
- The percentage of patients reporting through the HCAHPS survey that they would definitely recommend the hospital.
- Patient safety ranking based on 11 Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ measures of infection and complication rates.
- Low rates of early elective deliveries (between 0-1%).
- Baby-Friendly USA designation, a World Health Organization (WHO)/United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) initiative to support best practices for breast feeding education and counseling.
- Level III and Level IV neonatal intensive care designations to provide comprehensive care for the most complex and critically ill newborns.
One area BVRMC prides themselves on is their low C-section rate. The Iowa average is around 24%, BVRMC’s rate is much lower at 7.5%.
“Our physicians work with mothers to provide support in labor so that indications for C-sections can be avoided,” explains BVRMC Chief Clinical Officer Dawn Bach. “Our OB team creates a special bond with each newborn and family. Our patient satisfaction surveys that compare us to other hospitals consistently rate us in the high 90s percentile rank.”
“Pregnancy is one of the most special times in a woman’s life,” said Delia Passi founder and CEO of the Women’s Choice Award. “Our award gives a woman the confidence that her choice of a hospital for her delivery will be the best in terms of quality care and patient safety for her and her baby. As the trend of women waiting longer to start their families continues, having the Women’s Choice Award seal is especially important for older moms who face increased risk and need a top hospital to provide her care.”
BVRMC is one of 462 award recipients representing the hospitals that have met the highest standards for obstetrics across the U.S.